Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What do you think about homeschooling?

I feel this image above explains how I feel when I come in contact with people who disagree with
homeschooling.     
   
       What do you think about homeschooling? Have any of my blogs maybe made you think twice about homeschooling if you disagreed with it. Or have you always thought homeschooling was a good thing? I hope before anyone jumps on the bandwagon to automatically think homeschoolers are unsocialized weird kids, that you would just do the research for yourself. Even try and talk to an actual homeschooling family. You might be amazed to find out how much homeschooled children are like public school educated children. I love the image above it’s so true in so many ways! It makes me laugh every time I see it.

      So if you were thinking about homeschooling, what is stopping you? Homeschooling costs way less than sending your kids to a public or private school. Did you know homeschoolers can receive discounts on computers from Apple and Dell (Rotherham, 2012)? Also did you know that there is a discounted home-school rate on certain events, fairs, amusement parks, museums, and etc (Rotherham, 2012)? In some states you can have a tutor for your child and file for a tax credit (Rotherham, 2012). That’s why I feel homeschoolers should have the same advantages when it comes to sports in the school system. Even if we choose to home-school we don’t want special treatment and the obvious fairness when it comes to sports, but we should have the same option being we are taxpayers just like you (Rotherham, 2012). We pay to support these local public schools. So why is it we are not allowed to send our kids off to public schools for just sports? If it’s because parents are mad because their kids have to keep up with certain grades, do these parents actually think we as homeschooling parents would let our children play sports with bad grades in homeschooling. We do grade our children and we do hold our children back if we think they need to be held back. If our children want to be a part of sports we want them to be able to qualify for college scholarships too (Rotherham, 2012). It’s all about fairness!

       It’s silly to me that some parents think we have all these free do what you want days in homeschooling. We are in the books just as much as kids in public school. We just have a time of day 2-3 hours of straight school work and no wasting time switching classes and getting to school. We even eat lunch while doing school a lot of days. If we have to run errands or dr. appointments my girls take their backpacks and do road schooling throughout the day. We take our schooling just as serious as you do when you send your children off to someone else to teach them. Did you know there is even a graduation at the Convention Center in Richmond for homeschooled graduates? Or did you even know that there is a prom their too as well? There are lots of options, just some quirks that need to be approved. Think about musician families or actors and actresses. A lot of famous people have to home-school because they are on the road as a family. What about those families that are constantly moving from one state to another. Homeschooling lets you customize academics to fit your family’s needs as a whole (Rotherham, 2012).

     That’s one of the things I love about homeschooling is I can customize my children’s curriculums. I know already that I need to change our science curriculum for next year because it is not that interesting. I want my kids engaged and loving it. They feel it’s ok, but I know my girls and I feel bored myself. So this is a good thing, all I have to do is change it. I can even do it now instead of waiting for the following year. That’s the beauty of homeschooling. I get to choose what I know my girls will love, while learning. We don’t want for our girls to dread doing school. We want them to love to learn not hate it. I was public school educated just like my husband and we both have G.E.D’s .We both loathed the school system as kids. I would have to say the bullying was my biggest thing I hated about getting up in the morning to go to school. I still believe I have low self esteem resulting from my public school education and bullying. My parents would never say anything about me like other kids did in school to me.

      That’s not socialization and real world as people put it. When your child is either being threatened or picked on that’s just abuse. That’s one of the many reasons why my husband and I chose to home-school to build our girls up without bullying. So their focus is on learning and not what they are wearing or worried about what others think. I know not every child gets bullied but I do not know many grownups who were never bullied. We don’t want to take that chance with our children. Children are out of hand nowadays even if they are homeschooled. But at least when your child is being homeschooled it allows you to monitor your child’s behavior better. Teaching discipline is a lot easier when done by the parent. Children need discipline! I love what we have chosen to do with our children and that’s all that matters. I just hope one day we will see home-schooling as the norm. I think it has come a long way for sure. Can’t wait to see what the future holds!



Annotated Webliography:Where does the day go in our homeschooling home?

Rotherham (2012), the home team. Time, Retrieved April 2, 2012, from Master File Premier database.

This article talked about homeschooling and the benefits and struggles when it came to sports. Did you know that homeschooling parents actually grade their children’s and actually hold them back or move them forward depending on how they score on their testing each year. The same as public schools do.



No comments:

Post a Comment